Thursday 28 January 2010

Indian TV serials

I was watching my west wing DVDs again recently and realised what a great TV series it is. Great story, awesome acting and very educational as well. Then I remembered all the great american TV - Sopranos, Entourage, John Adams and my favorites like House and Law & Order. Made me wonder if these series are better because american TV has more money to spend on TV series or is it more talent. I sometimes think it is just some TV channels who have taken the decision to make high quality TV - some people with a vision for quality - to set the benchmark by which others the industry measure up - HBO or Warner in TV. It seems to work with the NY times in journalism.

The UK just has the BBC to do it but I guess it helps that they are funded by the tax payer.

I wonder why Indian TV channels can't make such serials. Commercial competition has maybe hurt the quality of TV in India. In many ways when DD was the only channel they had some great stuff on TV - I still remember how good something like Thamas was. Now most TV series seem to cater to the lowest common denominator because I guess they need to make money. I wonder if any of channels in India will ever go the HBO way. Maybe it needs a visionary - or maybe somebody very rich who takes the decision that he/she wants to create something that they and others can be proud of.

Was wondering if anybody thinks there are any Indian channels which can some day measure up to the high standards or at least seems to making effort to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment